Monday, January 24, 2011

Shape up or Ship out

Almost there!  And I must say I'm a little bit proud of myself for having posted not one, but TWO entries on my South Africa blog before I've even made it to the airport.  Maybe this blogging thing *is* my jam.

My loving, supportive family dropped me off at the airport at 4:45 am, the busiest time of day at Pasco International.  They boarded two flights at the same time out of the same gate when I left, so thank goodness I made it onto the plane on the left that went to Denver, and didn't get on the plane to the right that was heading to San Francisco.  I hope that kind of thing doesn't happen in New York tomorrow when we try to board a flight for Johannesburg.


Philadelphia has been great, and much less intense than I was expecting.  We only got one shot this morning, but I think we have a few more coming in South Africa.  We did end up doing a couple icebreakers, but no name games.  Hopefully we can do some more in South Africa, but, if not, I'll just have to find some people to do some trust falls and human knots with me.

Other than that, we talked a little about our expectations and went through some general things about health and safety and the volunteer experience, but nothing specific to South Africa.  We'll just have to wait a little longer for that information, I guess.

I'll try to take some good pictures when I get there.  I know pictures of Johnny with my luggage at the Pasco Airport will entice some of my 5 to 10 readers, but maybe I'll pull in a few more with some sub-Saharan scenery shots. If not, I'll just post royalty free pictures of elephants and lions that I find online and claim them as my own.  Either way, stay tuned to my blog - you're in for a treat :)

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, I read in Newsweek that you might have a "famous" person in your group....Sean Smith who was the LA Bureau Chief of Entertainment Weekly wrote a column "Give Peace A Chance" about being inspired by Angelina Jolie to do something meaningful with his life, so he volunteered for the Peace Corps and is leaving this week to go to South Africa as an HIV/AIDS Outreach volunteer...small world isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that all the luggage you brought? Wow, I don't know if I can bring so few items....

    ReplyDelete